Several weeks have passed and I kept getting a huge case of the guilt’s every time I walk past to see it sitting forlornly on my work table!
Yesterday I decided to pick it up and do the finishing…..and found that after a few weeks languishing, the width had taken up about an inch! Not a good thing as the cloth was woven to be square….so I needed to block it to get it back in shape.
I started looking around for something to pin it to and couldn’t find anything, so I decided to make a blocking board. My friend Susan uses a board like this to finish her scarves and shawls, so I used her idea and thought I’d share it with you.
My husband went to the hardware store and picked up a length of rigid insulation, it came in a 2 foot by 6 foot length. He cut off a piece 2 foot long for me to use.
I also borrowed his builders square for this job, a bit rusty but the only way I could keep everything even. I used the builders square lined up against the factory edge to keep my lines straight and using a ball point pen I scored lines about 1/16 of an inch deep. I then turned the board and did the same to make my grid.I didn’t want to take a chance on the ink or dirt coming off the board, so a good soaping with dish detergent ensured that I have a clean work surface. I pinned the Overshot piece every inch or so lengthwise along one of my lines. Lengthwise it was still the correct size, then using my laundry sprayer I soaked the piece and stretched it out to the desired width. It worked really well as the rigid insulation is about 1 inch deep and I can really push the pins in.
I will keep it pinned out for a few more days and lightly spray it a few more times to make sure the wool is properly stretched. I will then use my McSteamy and give it a good hard press to finish it completely.