Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fancy Twill Woven Fabric

I decided to do some yardage because . . . well I wanted to use the entire width of the loom – all 36 inches! The purpose of the yardage is for a jacket or vest, not quite sure at this point. There was a lot of pre planning that had to go into the project. I wanted to have lots of interesting designs and colours so I choose to do a variation on a twill gamp.
The stripes are all different widths but to make things easier when pulling the warp I made sure that each stripe has an even number of ends, it took more fiddling with the pattern than you think! When the garment is cut out I want to have the front panels of the vest or jacket match so the pattern has been mirrored with a delineating line of black in the centre. The warp is a mixture of 2/8 Orlec and 2/8 Tencel and the weft is black 2/10 Tencel. Originally the yardage was to be 36 inches but it turns out that a 36 inch reed isn’t really that long, more like 35.75 inches. Consequently I’ve had to drop a few ends off the back beam to make it work out. I did remember to keep the cross in the dropped ends and I’ll make sure to use them in my next yardage project.
There are 5 distinct stripes’, each stripe has a mixture of yarn colours. This was to give depth and interest to each stripe. The outside is a 1/1 mixture of soft green and soft blue. The next is pure pink. The wide one is dark teal on the outside blending through two shades of light teal in the centre. The next is purple, lavender then silver in the centre. The final stripe is a Fibonacci mixture of pink and rose.
I am really enjoying the weaving; the width is just at the edge of my reach. And it is amazing how fast I am going through pirns! Thankfully Mum is doing the hard work of filling them up with the electric bobbin winder.

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

That's fabulous! How exciting, I can't wait to see how it will turn out. Fantastic colours and patterns!

Annie said...

That looks like an exciting weave!

Loree Jackson said...

This is just beautiful! I love the way it looks like verticle bands almost. The pattern is so cool.

Lynn Majidimehr said...

Your fabric is beautiful, it's going to make a wonderful garment!

India said...

You have done a great work. It takes alot of brain-work to put it all together. I know!

Benita said...

That is stunningly pretty and interestng to look at. The vest out to be beautiful when you get it done.

bspinner said...

So Pretty!!!!!! The weave patterns and colors are wonderful. Can't wait to see it when its all sewn up into a jacket/vest.