Monday, November 13, 2023

10 Shaft Crackle Silk Scarf for Autumn

  My autumn crackle scarf is off the loom today, and I’m totally chuffed!

This scarf has been a joy to weave right from the beginning.  The colours of the silk were so inspiring and I loved seeing the foreshadowing of the pattern from the back of the loom.

Notice the floating selvedges?  On my last few projects I have doubled the floating selvedges on each side to give added presence to the edges and to help negate fraying.  It seems to have worked and I will continue to use a doubled floating selvedges when using silk and tencel.

The gold weft really is working well with all of the different colours in the warp, it contrasts beautifully with the burgundy and the olive and when it hits the brown portion, it just gleams like silk should.

The crackle trellis pattern was a really lovely weave, it is treadled as an advancing twill with fairly short runs that are woven from 1 – 10 and then reversed from 10 – 1.

I wove right up to the end of the warp and frankly couldn’t get any shed at all by the end of it.  I just managed to get 70 inches with the tension off.  I expect that I will end up with a scarf between 67 and 69 inches.

Here is the scarf right off the loom in our very weak November sunshine.

Same scarf and hour later in much stronger sun.  

The last two silk scarves have had their final photos taken and now are up on the store, WovenBeauty, on Etsy.  The first is the yellow and blue scarf, For Sale.


The second is the blue polka dots with the centre panel of pink and orange silk, For Sale.


4 comments:

Leigh said...

The scarf is absolutely beautiful. I can see why you're pleased!

The double floating selvedges sound like a great idea. Definitely on my to-try list now.

Liz aka Fibergeek said...

Love this.

I've used doubled floating selvedges for a long time because they definitely break far less often.

Dianne said...

You should be chuffed - the scarf is gorgeous.

Loki said...

A shining example of excellence! Your post is both insightful and well-crafted. Thank you for sharing your valuable perspective.