Monday, January 23, 2023

Variegated Coral Pink Silk Scarf

The warp for this scarf is a lovely hand dyed variegated coral pink pure silk, there are shades of coral, pink and rose.  It is hard to get a decent photo of all the colours in the warp, it seems to change colours in the different lights.  This is the best photo I have to see the colours in the warp, it is a shame that it is a little blurry.

For the weft I tried 2/8 Tencel in Eggplant, Charcoal and Iris.  I wanted something that complemented the colours of the warp but didn’t overwhelm them.

I decided to go with the Eggplant, a lovely dark purple.  The pattern is a 4 shaft twill, it is surprisingly busy pattern to put with a variegated warp but I think that it works well.  

On the computer the round medallions seemed to be the highlight of the pattern but looking at the scarf from a distance the line of diamonds in the middle and edges are the stand outs.   

I was able to comfortably weave 70 inches of scarf but I looked at the extra warp and I thought that I had enough warp for one more pattern repeat, about 2 inches.  By the time I was finished warping bar was pressed against the farthest heddles but I finished the extra repeat.  

As an extra bonus I also finished the pirn! I love when that happens.

To prepare a scarf for washing I like to gently braid the fringe into plaits so that the fringe doesn’t get tangled during washing.  I take out the plaits after washing but before laying flat to dry, so that the fringe will hang straight with no kinks.  

I’m at the fringe twisting stage now.  Next is pressing and then I'm hoping that there is some winter sunshine so I can take some finished photos of the scarf.

Final Garden Photo is the first buds of Autumn Joy Sedum (Hylotelephium telephium 'Herbstfreude' ('Autumn Joy')) are peeking through the winter scruff.  It feels like it is still early to be thinking Spring but it is coming!

No comments: