The dye colours that were used with this warp are Scarlet and Old Gold Procion MX Dye. The scarlet dye comes out more pink than red but on the cotton ties that I used to hold the warp threads in place, it is redder. I don’t know if you can see the difference in this photo.
This silk warp was made up from the last bits from the 4 skeins that we used to make the warps from last summer’s dye day so it was a little short of the number of ends needed for a scarf. So I made another warp and added about 40 orange Tencel threads to be interspersed with the silk.
To add the Tencel warp I tied on a second rod to the warp beam apron and then layered a second set of lease sticks on top of the lease sticks that held the silk warp. In the raddle on top of the castle I placed the threads in the order I wanted so they could be pulled onto the warp beam correctly.
The orange Tencel really blends well with both of the silk warp colours, you can't even notice them! What these threads did do however is blend everything together. The subtly painted silk warp looks like a single colour Salmon when viewed from a distance. The scarlet and old gold of the silk warp are very similar in tone and when I painted it I did it fairly closely so there isn’t a lot of separation between the colours, maybe two or three inches at most. Can't wait to see how the scarf turns out!
Pretty picture to end the post is a dragonfly that hung out on the bedroom screen for a couple of hours. She was big about the size of my hand.