Monday, July 30, 2018

A Kitchen Reno and Two Scarves

During the summer I find weaving often takes second place to gardening as our climate makes everything grow at an amazing rate.  I seem to spend my time, weeding, picking and processing for most of June, July,  August and September.  It's no wonder I'm ready for vacation in October!

Mid June we started a kitchen renovation.   We did most of the work ourselves ~ and went from the kitchen chosen by the builder which looked like this, a tad too brown for me:
To a blank canvas; and it is at this point you always question yourself. It is daunting!
And we ended up with this, a light and bright kitchen to make our often cloudy winters just a bit less grey. We put two different quartz counter tops in, a plain white fleck on the perimiter and a bolder white and grey marble on the island.  We also increased the size of the island, cause who ever said they had enough work surface? The upgrade to quartz made all the difference for me as it lowered the overall height of the counters, by a full inch and since I'm a bit vertically challenged, it is a wonderful improvement. We put in a black granite sink which is HUGE and that was a bonus too.
Ngaire planned the back splash tile pattern by laying the tiles out on the foyer floor using a paper template made from a roll of my used beaming paper.  We found that offsetting the tile by 1/3 was perfect.  We chose white beveled edge subway tiles from England that match the colour of the perimeter quartz perfectly.
The actual tile setting was relatively straightforward due to the preplanning, but perfecting the grout was much more difficult.
I did manage to do a wee bit of weaving in June and wove two painted tencel warps.  I used the same pattern for both of them as it is one I love weaving and summer is not the time to tackle difficult tasks in my opinion.
The first warp I called Fire and Ice, this painted warp was predominantly blues and oranges and by  choosing a burgundy red weft I ensured that it really does look like fire.
I threaded the warp as an 8 shaft advancing twill and treadled it in a parallel fashion.  I have used this pattern several times before and the fluid nature of the treadling never ceases to please.  As long as I pick a general progression series and stick to it I am free to weave ad hoc which is perfect for summer and a general laziness.
The final result is for sale on our Etsy shop Woven Beauty.  For Sale.
The second warp I call Pink Cammo and it is various olives, peachy pinks with a bit of burgundy.  I used black for the weft and this one is a real stunner.  For Sale.
The garden photo today a clump of drumstick allium ~Allium sphaerocephalon ~ complete with honey bees.

3 comments:

Portia's Cloth said...

Is it a coincidence that your new tiles look just like a 3/1 weft faced twill to me?
Your new kitchen is looking great

Peg Cherre said...

WOW!!! Your work on the kitchen is nothing short of AMAZING! Soooooo impressed!

And of course the weaving is beautiful, too.

Susan said...

Love, love, love the new look in the kitchen!
The scarves are lovely.... my favourite is the second one with black weft....