Sunday, April 8, 2018

Twelve Shaft Advancing Twill Shawls

My last project on the loom was a pair of shawls using some hand dyed 2/20 cotton in three tones of blue.  The colour variations are very subtle, but it still shows enough to add a bit of interest.

This is such fine thread with quite a strong twist that I ended up setting it at 30 ends per inch and even with that it was just about transparent on the loom.
I chose to use a twelve shaft advancing twill pattern and I am more than pleased with it although, I did have some real issues with the selvedges, and no amount of pattern manipulation seemed to fix it.
So I ended up adding seven threads to each edge due to weird pull in on the pattern.
The selvedge edges were added using the same yarn as the weft, in this case it was 2/8 tencel.   I added the selvedge threads by winding them individually onto a sewing bobbin and popping them into an old film canister with seven pennies.  I really had to search to find pennies now that Canada no longer makes them.  Luckily, we had just come back from the Garden Show in Seattle and had a handful of US pennies.
With so many hanging threads in one place there is always the danger that they tangle, so a few holes punched into a piece of cardboard and clipped to allow the thread to be inserted and I was good to go.
I did make sure to take the weight off of these hanging selvedges when I took a weaving break.  My big footstool did the trick.
I decided to make my hem stitching in increments of two reed dents, so with 30 ends per inch, that was a huge amount of hem stitching and when it came time to twist the fringes it was a beast!
The first shawl was woven using a blue/navy weft and was woven as drawn in; you can see the warp colour variations in this photo.
The second shawl was woven using hunter green weft and an advacing M’s and W’s treadling.

The garden shot this time is my newest Japanese Maple ~ Acer Japonicum ‘Green Cascade’.  It is waiting for this darned mizzle to abate so I can plant it!

4 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

Both shawls look just lovely. I like your photo and explanation of how you added selvedge threads.

Susan Harvey said...

I was fortunate enough to see these projects in person and must say that they are the loveliest shades of blues and greens. The advancing twill looks like delicate flowers working its way across the cloth.

Beautiful....

Valerie said...

Lovely shawl! As another 12 shaft weaver, I'm always interested.

Also got a chuckle that the cardboard used for the extra thread control was extra strength tylenol....Perhaps also needed for the headaches and problems solving ;)

Dianne said...

Beautiful work. Really like the darker edging and how it solved the problem.