At one of the Guild yarn sales we picked up a small cheese of singles silk in that natural dark bone colour. The singles also had flecks of blue, red and yellow running through it. It was pretty ugly but it WAS silk. During our last dye day I chucked the silk in a turquoise day bath; it's pretty now!
I went to the warping board and started to pull a 3 yard warp. I knew that I wanted to use all the yarn and I ended up with 318 ends, which is a width of 13 inches. It is wider than normal for scarf but it is nice to be able to offer something a little different in the shop.
Now that I knew the width of the scarf I went looking for a pattern. The warp looked water-like with the coloured flecks looking like reflecting light. I wanted to reinforce that image so I looked for an undulating twill. I found a nice one that is 10 shafts and has a ripple like effect.