A very strange thing happened, Mum and I wove the same item, tea towels, using the same pattern! Mum’s were white and can be seen here. Mine were 2/8 cotton in black, purple, blue, red and yellow. Sorry for the blurry photo.
The pattern is a simple broken twill that only used 4 treadles, the weaving was quick but really effective.
I did a plaid border at one end of each towel in red or yellow.
To make the hemming of the tea towels easier I add a single pick of sewing thread at 1 ½ inches at the beginning and end of the tea towel. The sewing thread has about a 2 inch tail at each end, this comes in handy later. After the tea towel is washed and dried, it is time for hemming. The first fold is pressed into the tea towel at the line proved by the sewing thread, the fold is straight and it is easy to see. The sewing thread is then no longer needed at can be pulled out.
I also ran out of warp for the last tea towel, I needed about 6 more inches. To extend the warp I tried to add a shorter warp beam that could fit past the last four shafts. I found a piece of wooden dowel that was a little rough so I wrapped it in a piece of tissue paper. It was a little thick but I thought it could work.
When I added the tension to the warp there was a SNAP! I had used 2/8 cotton to tie on the warp and under the tension they had snapped. I then tied on with some cord that worked much better. Again sorry for the blurry picture.
The finished tea towels have a really graphic punch! Here are the three yellow plaid tea towels. For Sale.