Sunday, February 12, 2012

Compass Rose Scarf

I’m so pleased with the way this scarf has turned out….the motif kept in shape and I loved weaving this pattern.  My photos really don’t do the scarf justice, but you get the general idea.  I think I’m going to have to take some photography lessons!
I did find one problem with the pattern as I was weaving it….there is a tendency for a heavy selvedge float whenever I lifted shaft 4 followed by shaft 5 and since this happened fairly frequently on this 6 shaft pattern I’ve got to work on the selvedges before I can use this pattern again.
After I use McSteamy to give it a good hard press I plan to add a twisted selvedge treatment to minimize this issue, like I did in this 'Framed Scarf'Generally when you weave a round shaped motif the selvedges tend to bow outward anyway, but on this pattern when the bow coincided with the shaft 4 to 5 change it made the selvedge issue doubly noticeable to me, picky, picky, picky!
I adore the colour combination on this scarf ~ very subtle and classic, it will make an incredible statement against a black or brown garment.  The soft cream came from one tencel supplier (Brassard) and the taupe from another (Webs), and together I think they are wonderful as there is a subtle difference in luster and yarn twist.  Fingers crossed that I can buy more of both.
I’m on a quest and could really use some help.  Does anyone know of a supplier for this type of rayon knot yarn?  It’s a fairly fine (2/12 ish) two ply that is extremely shiny, with long thin slubby knots about every 8-10 inches.  This particular cone is a very beautiful soft creamy pink, but I do remember that it came in a multitude of colours.  The inside cone is marked with a crown and the name Doran Textiles and is made in the USA. 
This is a close up and again I’ll apologize for my horrid photos, but I just can’t seem to find the right light for my photographs in this new house. All of the rooms just have too much natural light for a good photo it seems.

I’d like to thank Laverne for featuring one of my Rep Weave purses on her blog Backstrap Weaving, check it out!

4 comments:

Susan said...

I just love this pattern... the scarf looks so elegant!
I can just see it with a black or brown coat.

I also went through my stash to see if I had any of that nobbly yarn and, sorry, no! I don't think I've heard of that manufacturer before...

Congrats on the mention on the post on rep weave! Those bags you made were beautiful...

Susan

Heather Woollove said...

Wow! This pattern is so complex, it almost looks like snakeskin!
Congratulations!

Heidi said...

Wow this is so beautiful! Congratulations!
I love Japanese weaving. Do you mind me asking where did you get this pattern? & how long did it take you to complete? Such amazing work!!!

Heidi said...

Wow this is so beautiful! Congratulations!!
I love Japanese weaving. Do you mind me asking where you got this lovely pattern? & how long did this take to complete? Such amazing work!!