Wednesday, October 21, 2009

More Method in the Madness Workshop

It seems like everything in the world is getting in between me and my loom. My garden is only partially tidied up for the winter and now a drizzly day is keeping me indoors. The good thing about a drizzly day is this loaf of Bara Brith that is ready to go into the oven! My workshop was a great success and it was a delight to see so many happy weavers. I was amazed by the noise we generated! Lots of laugher, the clang the Leclerc floor looms and many dropped shuttles! I’d do it again in a heartbeat! I know that a few of my ladies will be working on Echo weaves in the near future. It was quite wonderful sharing the ‘how to’ with them. Thankfully, they in turn shared ideas and suggestions with me, so everyone learned that day! There were four looms in my Studio.And two in my Laundry Room/Computer room next door .We still have the remains of the warps from each loom to weave off. The nice thing about having some left over warp is that I’m getting absolutely lovely, big samples. I was very pleased to note that all the weavers at my workshop went home with samples that were huge and barely fit into the binders!
The Guild of Canadian Weavers Table Runner exchange is now under my belt. Today I entered all the draw downs that didn’t come as wifs into PCW, photographed the runners individually and as a group and made them into a PowerPoint presentation.
Now thankfully they sit ready to hit the post tomorrow. On Sunday Michael, Ngaire and I got the final four new windows into place – whew!
Now we are officially ready to batten down for the winter. The interior finishing and trimming will get done over the winter, and thankfully isn’t my job. We had an unexpected visitor at 10:30 the other night. My husband was just heading out the back door and this tiny wee fellow was on the back deck. You can see how small he is by the screw head next to him – no bigger than a quarter!

9 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

You might not have been actually weaving, but you've certainly been busy with a lot of the creative parts of weaving!

I'm so glad (but not at all surprised) to hear that the workshop went really well. It seems like a wonderful workshop - and I love that people came away with nice big samples!

The table runner exchange sounds cool. It's so nice of you to facilitate it.

I might be wrong, but I think I might have seen snow in one of your pictures. But no, it can't be. There's still a frog outside on the porch.....so it's still warm enough for frogs to hop!

I'm sure you'll get back to your loom soon enough!!

Sue

Lynnette said...

Hi Sue,
Nope not snow, just very pale gray leaves on my box elder tree. Thanksfully we are still well above freezing here. Yesterday it was 17C, so snow is many weeks away I hope!

Susan said...

What a busy week you had! Such good fun to go along with the nerves of hosting your first workshop. I would have loved to participate in it if I lived closer!

I don't think I have ever seen your studio so filled with looms and weavers before!

Now your little frog fella looks very much like my 'suitor' from last year. He was a Pacific Tree Frog and I'll send you a picture for comparison.

I just picked up the special rice for chanterelle risotto today and now I see the bread in the pan. Another recipe I *must* have. You're gonna make a cook out of me yet!

I can hardly wait to see my new runner coming from the exchange. Its like Christmas almost
(oops sorry for bringing that word up)

Susan

Sunrise Lodge Fiber Studio said...

Wow! Looks like the workshop was a blast!!! One think I know for sure.......busy is a GOOD thing;)

Delighted Hands said...

I thought it was snow on the tree, too! So glad the workshop went well. The bread looks delicious!

Valerie said...

Looks like it was a wonderful workshop!

What a productive week!

Anonymous said...

Bara Brith! I didn't know anyone else made Bara Brith! Yum. Well, yum back when I didn't have the allergies that prevent me from eating it, mailing extra loaves to unsuspecting friends (better when it's a week old, anyway), or imposing it on my husband.

I am still reading and enjoying your blog though I haven't commented in quite a while. Your efforts are inspiring.

charlotte said...

Congratulations on the success with the workshop! The frog was very cute, and the brea looks delicious. What is Bara Brith?

Lynnette said...

Hi Charlotte, To answer your question, Bara Brith is a Welsh yeast bread. Bara Brith means speckled bread and that because it's full of raisins and currants and I added dried cranberries. The bread itself is much like a French brioche, so plenty of butter and eggs in the bread.....great fresh with lots of butter and even better the next day toasted!