Sunday, March 12, 2017

12 Shaft Crackle Shawls – The End

The shawls are finally off the loom, washed and pressed and they are looking amazing!  Here is the first side of the black shawl.  The large flowers really draw the eye.
The second side of the black shawl the large crosses stand out more.
The pattern is quite large and when the shawl is being worn it makes quite the statement.
The red shawl looks totally different; it is amazing that the only difference between the two shawls is the tie up which is just two different angles for the twill line.  Here is the first side, the pattern looks like fancy Christmas ornaments.
The second side of the red shawl, the ornament shapes stand out even more.
The glow that the red shawl has absolutely amazing.
There is something wrong with the shawls though, they both have a white stripe about five inches from one edge.  The white stripe is from sun bleaching on the cone that I used for the warp.  I didn’t notice the colour change when pulling the warp.  But you can see a very faint two inch line only the shawl but where it really shows is in the fringe.  I am not really sure what I am going to do, I think that I am going to dye the shawls.  I think that blue could work for the black shawl, but I have no idea for the red shawl.
An added bonus problem for the red shawl; some of the red dye ran when I was washing it.  I did a rinse with Synthropol but there is still a half inch of pink at the top of the twizzles.
So the shawls are going to sit in the closet waiting for some warmer weather so I can fix them.

Final Garden Shot is the first leaf on the Black Beauty Elderberry Tree (Sambucus nigra 'Gerda').  This poor leaf has been out all by itself for about two weeks as we keep getting snow storms, the last one on Thursday!

Thursday, March 2, 2017

12 Shaft Dyed Crackle Scarf

Crackle weave is still the hot topic around here.  After making some quite unattractive 8 shaft crackle tea towels; the pattern worked really well and showed the various gradations of crackle blocks, but the colours were yukky!
I know I’ll have these tea towels kicking around the house for years....why do the ones we hate last so darn long?

I had purchased a bit too much Lemon Drop yellow tencel in the heat of the moment and I thought it would be a great candidate for over dyeing. Late last summer I pulled a tencel scarf warp in 5 bouts of 40 thread segments.
 Before I painted the warp I flipped alternate bouts end for end and applied the procion across the warp.
When I put the warp on thee loom I flipped them back again to the original position and I was really pleased with the result.  

I created an original Crackle design by using an advancing curve of crackle blocks for the threading and then I treadled it with a regular twill treadling.  I was attempting to get a circular design with the centre of the circles in plain weave.
 I sett the scarf at 24 ends per inch because there was so much plain weave in the crackle and wove the scarf using black 2/10 tencel for the weft.
This scarf turned out really beautifully, upon reflection I would do smaller areas of each colour.  The scarf is yellow with red, brown, orange and bronze areas.

The bronze falls right in the centre of the scarf and is much prettier in real life than the photos show.  For Sale.

The final garden shot is really one for the books, it's Ngaire waist deep in snow last week!